Processing Ajax...

Title
Close Dialog

Message

Confirm
Close Dialog

Confirm
Close Dialog

DisplayFusion Steam 10.0 Beta 8 High Memory and CPU Usage (Win10 Version 21H2)

User Image
Sykotix
6 discussion posts
Hi there, I have noticed that DF is using and extremely high amount of resources for pretty much no reason and I can't figure out why. It can spike to around 11-14% CPU usage and around 1GB of memory. I doubt that is normal and am not certain as to how to fix this. Could someone please assist me? I have attached the debug file to this message. Thanks in advance!
• Attachment [protected]: DisplayFusionDebugInfo.zip [73,370 bytes]
Nov 30, 2021  • #1
User Image
Sykotix
6 discussion posts
I would also like to note that DF seems to be crashing my video players when it is active. I just had the idea to kill the program after my latest freeze and the problem is gone with the video player. Could anyone help identify that issue as well? I am using MPC-BE primarily, but MPC-HC would also crash too.
Nov 30, 2021 (modified Nov 30, 2021)  • #2
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Hello,

If you open the DisplayFusion Settings window and disable some of the main settings listed (Wallpaper, Triggers, Multi-Monitor Taskbars, etc.), does anything in particular cause a drop in usage?

Can you try adding your video player to the compatibility list in DisplayFusion, and check "Disable Application Hooks", and see if the issue persists after restarting DisplayFusion?

Thanks!
Nov 30, 2021  • #3
User Image
Sykotix
6 discussion posts
Quote:
Hello,
If you open the DisplayFusion Settings window and disable some of the main settings listed (Wallpaper, Triggers, Multi-Monitor Taskbars, etc.), does anything in particular cause a drop in usage?
Can you try adding your video player to the compatibility list in DisplayFusion, and check "Disable Application Hooks", and see if the issue persists after restarting DisplayFusion?
Thanks!

I didn't really have much enabled such as triggers or multi-monitor taskbars, but I disabled the few things I had active and the resource usage stayed the same and sometimes even spiked to 1.3GB of memory usage. I'm not certain as to why this is happening since there's not much I'm asking the program to do. I even changed the wallpaper profile to see if that was the issue, but that didn't change anything either. Did you find anything out of the ordinary in the debug log that could clue us into what's causing this?
I'll post again if I see my video player freeze after trying your suggestion.
Dec 1, 2021 (modified Dec 1, 2021)  • #4
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Hello,

Interesting okay, did you try disabling the wallpaper entirely? Is that wallpaper loading images, or videos as well?

I took a look at the log, but nothing really stood out.

Thanks!
Dec 1, 2021  • #5
User Image
Sykotix
6 discussion posts
Quote:
Hello,

Interesting okay, did you try disabling the wallpaper entirely? Is that wallpaper loading images, or videos as well?

I took a look at the log, but nothing really stood out.

Thanks!


Yup I completely disabled the wallpaper and even tried disabling some of the enabled wallpaper settings but neither did anything to the resource usage. The wallpaper is only loading image, 2 monitors are still images and the third one is a slideshow. Would high image resolutions cause this type of resource usage?
Dec 1, 2021  • #6
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
It shouldn't be, especially if it continues after disabling the wallpaper entirely. If you roll back to v9.8, does the issue persist there as well?

Thanks!
Dec 3, 2021  • #7
User Image
Sykotix
6 discussion posts
Quote:
It shouldn't be, especially if it continues after disabling the wallpaper entirely. If you roll back to v9.8, does the issue persist there as well?

Thanks!


So after rolling back, the issue still persists unfortunately. I think I've figured something out though, the CPU and RAM spikes occur once the slideshow switches to the next image. Additionally, when launched the program consumes ~190MB of RAM but goes up after each image switch in the slideshow (Sometimes leveling at 680MB and sometimes in the 450MB range) While writing this it just dropped from 680MB to 190MB, no clue why though. Could this be something along the lines of how the caching is handled?
Dec 3, 2021  • #8
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Interesting, on the DisplayFusion Wallpaper Settings window, if you click the "Wallpaper Settings" button, do you have "Remove unused temporary image files automatically" enabled?

Also, in the Windows Settings > Personalization > Colours > do you have "Automatically pick an accent colour from my background" enabled? If you do, can you try disabling that and see if it helps?

Thanks!
Dec 6, 2021  • #9
User Image
Sykotix
6 discussion posts
Quote:
Interesting, on the DisplayFusion Wallpaper Settings window, if you click the "Wallpaper Settings" button, do you have "Remove unused temporary image files automatically" enabled?

Also, in the Windows Settings > Personalization > Colours > do you have "Automatically pick an accent colour from my background" enabled? If you do, can you try disabling that and see if it helps?

Thanks!


I do have the "Remove unused temporary image files automatically" setting enabled and I do not have the "Automatically pick an accent colour from my background" setting enabled in Windows. Should I disable the "Remove unused temporary image files automatically" setting? For reference, I have also attached a screenshot of my desktop wallpaper settings so you can let me know if anything needs to be disabled.
• Attachment [protected]: Screenshot 2021-12-07 233224.png [44,071 bytes]
Dec 8, 2021  • #10
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
We'll want that setting enabled, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try disabling it for testing.

Could you send me over the images your using as wallpapers, so I can test them out on my end?

Thanks!
Dec 8, 2021  • #11
Was this helpful?  Login to Vote(-)  Login to Vote(-)