Title

Message

Confirm

Want to earn a free DisplayFusion Pro license? We're looking for DisplayFusion translators!
<< DiscussionsReply

Multi Monitor Slideshow Issue When Disabling Different Resolution Display

Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
I have a dual 1920x1200 monitor setup + a 4k TV for media consumption. I use different monitor profiles for this use case (1 profile for all 3 connected and one profile for only the 2 monitors). I also have a wallpaper slideshow enabled for all 3 displays. The issue is when I disable the 4k TV, the wallpaper from that TV (it's a 1080p wallpaper stretched to fit) moves over to the 2 monitors and maintains the same 4k resolution, causing the wallpaper to stretch across both displays. Going into wallpaper settings and reapplying the wallpaper fixes the issue... until the next wallpaper loads in from the slideshow. For some reason, it reapplies my TV's wallpaper even though the display is disabled (not disconnected). I've looked through the forums and this thread is similar to my issue although mine goes further because of the slideshow. I have attempted to create 2 different wallpaper profiles for my setup that are automatically loaded by changing the monitor profile but this hasn't solved anything.
24 days ago  • #1
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
It sounds like Windows isn't refreshing the desktop properly. When that happens, if you kill explorer.exe with the Windows Task Manager and re-launch it with File > Run new task (in Task Manager as well), does that fix it temporarily?
23 days ago  • #2
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
It sounds like Windows isn't refreshing the desktop properly. When that happens, if you kill explorer.exe with the Windows Task Manager and re-launch it with File > Run new task (in Task Manager as well), does that fix it temporarily?


I found a weird workaround for this. If I set my 4k TV to 1080p THEN create a wallpaper profile, after switching to just my 2 monitors, it fixes the issue and displays the correct wallpaper for the correct monitor and in the correct resolution. Before, it'd try to show display 3's (TV) wallpaper on display 1 (monitor). So, basically it is working now but it's an odd workaround. It will show the stretched wallpaper first but after the next wallpaper loads in from the slideshow, everything becomes correct.

I have tried restarting explorer with no results.
23 days ago  • #3
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ah ok! Do the monitor IDs in the wallpaper window change when you switch Monitor Profiles? Could you backup your settings (Settings > Options > Export) and send them to me, and also send me your troubleshooting info?

  • Open the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button
  • Reply with the file attached
22 days ago  • #4
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
Ah ok! Do the monitor IDs in the wallpaper window change when you switch Monitor Profiles? Could you backup your settings (Settings > Options > Export) and send them to me, and also send me your troubleshooting info?

  • Open the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button
  • Reply with the file attached


I'm not sure what you mean by monitor IDs but when I switched profiles, I checked the wallpaper settings and saw the wallpaper that was stretched was the one that was supposed to be on the other monitor. I've attached my settings. These are the settings AFTER my workaround.
• Attachment [protected]: DisplayFusionDebugInfo.zip [127,301 bytes]
22 days ago  • #5
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
By monitor IDs changing, I mean the number that's in the corner of each monitor when you look in the DisplayFusion Desktop Wallpaper window. e.g. When the 4K TV is enabled, is it monitor 1, and then when you disable it or power it off, does one of the regular monitors become monitor 1 instead?
19 days ago  • #6
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
By monitor IDs changing, I mean the number that's in the corner of each monitor when you look in the DisplayFusion Desktop Wallpaper window. e.g. When the 4K TV is enabled, is it monitor 1, and then when you disable it or power it off, does one of the regular monitors become monitor 1 instead?


Oh, okay. No, the monitor ID does not change.
19 days ago  • #7
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ok, interesting. Do you have the "Auto-fix" option enabled in the DisplayFusion Desktop Wallpaper > Wallpaper Settings window?
19 days ago  • #8
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
Ok, interesting. Do you have the "Auto-fix" option enabled in the DisplayFusion Desktop Wallpaper > Wallpaper Settings window?


Yes. I also tried disabling the option but nothing really changed as far as I could tell.
18 days ago  • #9
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ok, thanks for trying that out. Could you backup your settings (Settings > Options > Export) and attach them?
18 days ago  • #10
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
Ok, thanks for trying that out. Could you backup your settings (Settings > Options > Export) and attach them?


Ok, here
• Attachment [protected]: DisplayFusion Backup (2018-11-28 @ 10-55, 9.3.99.104, BIGPLASTIC-PC).reg [327,596 bytes]
17 days ago  • #11
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I'm kind of stumped here! Everything in the configuration looks correct to me as well. When the TV is enabled, is it set as the Primary monitor?
16 days ago  • #12
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
I'm kind of stumped here! Everything in the configuration looks correct to me as well. When the TV is enabled, is it set as the Primary monitor?


No, it isn't. I prefer to use my main monitor as my primary monitor because it breaks my Rainmeter if I change my primary monitor. I tried it just now and nothing really happened besides screwing up my Rainmeter.
16 days ago  • #13
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ok, no, that's fine. I actually wanted to make sure it wasn't set as the Primary :)

Can you try something else for me?

  • In the DisplayFusion Wallpaper window, click the Wallpaper Settings button, disable "Use transitions when changing..."
  • Apply the settings, then reboot your machine
  • Does this issue still occur with the transitions disabled?
16 days ago  • #14
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
Ok, no, that's fine. I actually wanted to make sure it wasn't set as the Primary :)

Can you try something else for me?

  • In the DisplayFusion Wallpaper window, click the Wallpaper Settings button, disable "Use transitions when changing..."
  • Apply the settings, then reboot your machine
  • Does this issue still occur with the transitions disabled?


Actually, I can't seem to recreate my original problem anymore. This is very strange. I guess we can transition to my new issue that came up. If I change to my 3 display profile, the wallpapers decide to do this weird tiling setup and the 3rd display (TV) doesn't show the correct wallpaper. I've attached a screenshot. I suppose this is similar to my original problem but now for a different display. I considered this a very minor problem because I'm primarily looking at my TV which is on a fullscreen movie/game so I don't really notice that my wallpapers are all screwy but this issue might point to a larger issue concerning the wallpaper management of DisplayFusion. Let me try disabling transitions.
• Attachment [protected]: ss (2018-11-30 at 11.42.23).jpg [3,588,136 bytes]
15 days ago  • #15
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Nope, disabling transitions didn't do much.
15 days ago  • #16
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Did this new issue only start occurring after updating to 9.4 Beta 4? There are definitely a couple of wallpaper issues in 9.4 Beta 4, but they'll be all fixed up after 9.4 Beta 5. We're hoping to have Beta 5 out this week, could you post an update and let me know how it goes after that's released and updated?
12 days ago  • #17
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
Did this new issue only start occurring after updating to 9.4 Beta 4? There are definitely a couple of wallpaper issues in 9.4 Beta 4, but they'll be all fixed up after 9.4 Beta 5. We're hoping to have Beta 5 out this week, could you post an update and let me know how it goes after that's released and updated?


I only noticed this new issue after trying out my workaround which coincidentally was after updating to 9.4 Beta 4. Because of that, I can't tell you if my issues are a result of the beta or not. I'll update this thread after Beta 5 when that comes up.
12 days ago  • #18
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Sounds good, thanks!
12 days ago  • #19
Avatar from Gravatar.com
soo2
16 discussion posts
Quote:
Sounds good, thanks!


Whatever you guys did seems to have fixed the problem. When I switch to have 3 displays all enabled, it briefly shows the weird tiling issue but after 3-5s, it refreshes and shows the proper wallpapers on the right displays. Everything seems to be working fine. Thanks so much for solving this. I'll update this thread if it somehow comes back but I think you guys fixed it.
7 days ago  • #20
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Excellent, glad to hear it!
5 days ago  • #21
Was this helpful?  Login to Vote  Login to Vote
<< DiscussionsReply