Title

Message

Confirm

<< DiscussionsReply

some questions about changing montiors, audio devices and fullscreen games

Avatar from Gravatar.com
ro0415
8 discussion posts
So i just got displayfusion and it's great so far But, there's a few Things i'm wondering about:

FULLSCREEN GAMES:
-So the main reason why i got displayfusion was so that i could switch between having my tv and pc monitor as primary monitor using a hotkey, which i managged easily. But i noticed that i can't use any hotkeys when i'm in a fullscreen game. What i wanted to be able to do was to change the primary monitor, while i was playing so that the game would switch screens. So then i alt+tabbed and tried the hotkeys again, and the screens switched, but the game stayed in the taskbar on the same monitor. So i was wondering if it's somehow possible to change the primary screen while in a fullscreen game and have the game switch screens With it?

SWITCHING AND DISABLING PRIMARY MONITORS:
-I was also wondering if it would be possible to have one of the screens disabled, but when you press a hotkey you switch the primary screen and the other screen becomes disabled. For example: I'm using my pc monitor, which is the primary screen, and my tv is screen is disabled. Then I press a hotkey which enabled the tv screen and makes it the primary montior, while it disables the pc monitor. Is this possible?

SWITCHING AUDIO DEVICES:
-Then it's the audio Devices. I have a headset, monitor speakers and tv speakers. I'm able to create a hotkey to cycle between the Three of them, but I was wondering if it would be possible to have one hotkey to switch between two of them and another hotkey for the Third Device. So i can press one key combo to switch between my tv and monitor spewakers, but if i press another key combo i switch to my headset. What would be best is if i had a hotkey for switching between the tv and pc monitor, but it was disabled while my headset was plugged in. Then if i unplugged the hotkey would start working, so i could press it to switch between the tv and pc speakers. Then if i Connected the headset again that would become the primary audio Device.

SAME HOTKEY FOR MULTIPLE THINGS:
-Is it possible to have the same hotkey for switching monitors and audio Devices so i can switch to one screen and another set of speakers at the same time? Because what would be the easiest for me was if i could just have the hotkey ctrl+alt+a. If i press that hotkey it switches to the tv as primary monitor and tv speakers. Then if i press it again it switches to the pc montior as primary and the pc monitor speaker. Then, if i Connect my headset to the pc, that becomes the default audio Device.

Any help is appreciated! If these features aren't in, i hope they will be implemented some day, even though I get that it might be a bit hard to pull off

EDIT: btw, when you change primary monitors, is there any way to make the Windows that are open move to the New primary monitor instead of staying on the one thats now secondary?
Dec 9, 2014 (modified Dec 9, 2014)  • #1
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Glad to hear you like DisplayFusion!

Fullscreen games: Unfortunately it's not possible to change the Primary monitor while a full screen game is running. Games detect the Primary monitor on startup, and don't do any sort of re-detection. One thing you could try, is switching the game to windowed mode (Alt+Enter) in most games, and then back to full screen (Alt+Enter) again. Not sure if that will work though.

Switching and disabling: You should be able to do this. Just setup both of your monitor profiles with those settings and then switch between them using the hotkey.

Switching audio devices: This may be possible with a scripted function. I'll look into it and report back.

Same hotkey for profile and audio: You can do this as well. In the Manage Monitor Profiles window, just assign the audio devices to their appropriate monitor profiles. Then when you load the profile, that audio device will switch too.

Hope that helps!
Dec 10, 2014  • #2
Avatar from Gravatar.com
ro0415
8 discussion posts
Quote:
Glad to hear you like DisplayFusion!

Fullscreen games: Unfortunately it's not possible to change the Primary monitor while a full screen game is running. Games detect the Primary monitor on startup, and don't do any sort of re-detection. One thing you could try, is switching the game to windowed mode (Alt+Enter) in most games, and then back to full screen (Alt+Enter) again. Not sure if that will work though.

Switching and disabling: You should be able to do this. Just setup both of your monitor profiles with those settings and then switch between them using the hotkey.

Switching audio devices: This may be possible with a scripted function. I'll look into it and report back.

Same hotkey for profile and audio: You can do this as well. In the Manage Monitor Profiles window, just assign the audio devices to their appropriate monitor profiles. Then when you load the profile, that audio device will switch too.

Hope that helps!


Thanks for the help, I'll try it now
Dec 10, 2014  • #3
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Oort
14 discussion posts
Found this with search looking for hotkey on audio devices. Switching audio with a scripted function works just fine, and the "Insert" button makes the coding trivial.
Feb 8, 2015  • #4
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Glad to hear it, Oort!
Feb 9, 2015  • #5
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
This functionality is now available using a Scripted Function. We've written an example one for you. Here's how to set it up:
  • On the DisplayFusion Settings > Functions tab, click the "Download Scripted" button
  • Double-click the script named "Set Next Audio Device as Default (Custom List)"
  • Update the "audioDevices" array in the script with the exact names of the audio devices you want the function to switch between
  • Give it a key combination and click OK
  • Optionally, select it, click "Toggle TitleBar Button" (to add it to the caption bar of every application)
  • Click Apply and test it out

Thanks!
Mar 18, 2015 (modified Mar 18, 2015)  • #6
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Thomas Rootsaert896586
2 discussion posts
Quote:
This functionality is now available using a Scripted Function. We've written an example one for you. Here's how to set it up:
  • On the DisplayFusion Settings > Functions tab, click the "Download Scripted" button
  • Double-click the script named "Set Next Audio Device as Default (Custom List)"
  • Update the "audioDevices" array in the script with the exact names of the audio devices you want the function to switch between
  • Give it a key combination and click OK
  • Optionally, select it, click "Toggle TitleBar Button" (to add it to the caption bar of every application)
  • Click Apply and test it out

Thanks!


I'm also trying to setup a key combo to switch between audio devices. I've downloaded the scripted function and inserted the names of my audio devices . When I verify my function + run it seems to run but my audio devices are not switched. Am I missing something?

Code

Oct 12, 2015  • #7
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
If you right-click the DisplayFusion tray icon and go to Audio Devices > Default Playback Sounds, are those the exact names of the audio devices? Usually there's a name, and then some text in brackets as well. You need to include everything, including the text in the brackets.
Oct 15, 2015  • #8
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Thomas Rootsaert896586
2 discussion posts
Quote:
If you right-click the DisplayFusion tray icon and go to Audio Devices > Default Playback Sounds, are those the exact names of the audio devices? Usually there's a name, and then some text in brackets as well. You need to include everything, including the text in the brackets.


Thx Keith! Great product, awesome support. Keep up the good work guys!!
Oct 29, 2015  • #9
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
No problem, thanks!
Oct 29, 2015  • #10
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Reudig
4 discussion posts
Hi!

I use Windows 10 and have a Logitech G933 as well as speakers.

I switch between both devices quite often and discovered your Script.
It isn't functioning as I would love to however ...

See: the script only switches Playback Device, not Communications Device.
I would love if it would switch both (same as setting "default" in the Windows Audio Device settings)

Could you update the script to do that? Would be much appreciated!

Best wishes
Reudig
Jan 1, 2016  • #11
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Done! Just re-download the script and you should be all set
Jan 5, 2016  • #12
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Reudig
4 discussion posts
Wow, that was quick! Thanks alot!

Now just one further question arose:
Is there a way to force sound from one device to the other while it is already playing back?
e.g. while a youtube video is running changing the audio device won't move the youtube audio to the headphones or vice versa...
Jan 5, 2016  • #13
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do about that, sorry
Jan 5, 2016  • #14
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Reudig
4 discussion posts
i was expecting that ^^
was more a question like "can windows do that in general" and not "can df do it" ^^
Jan 5, 2016  • #15
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ah yeah, I've never come across a solution for that at all
Jan 5, 2016  • #16
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Reudig
4 discussion posts
i came across a program called CheVolume that's supposed to change audio from one device to another while it's already running ...
It doesn't work on Win10 however
Jan 6, 2016  • #17
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Nicolas Ferrante
1 discussion post
Quote:
Done! Just re-download the script and you should be all set


Hey Keith,

This is an amazing script. How can I enhance the script to show which device is selected through window 10 notifications.
Currently window 10 notifications shows that the display fusion script is running. (screenshot attached).

Is there a way in the script to print/ output to window 10 notification which device in the array is being select.
• Attachment [protected]: win10_notification.png [16,774 bytes]
Sep 4, 2016  • #18
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
There isn't, unfortunately. I'm going to add a feature request to our list though, to add a scripting function that would show a tray balloon. You could add BFS.Dialog.ShowMessageInfo(audioDevices[index]); right after the "SetAudioDevice" commands, though this will show a popup dialog that you have close manually.
Sep 8, 2016  • #19
Avatar from Gravatar.com
HappyKamper
3 discussion posts
Hi, thanks a lot for this great program, and the extremely useful script.

I am having an issue with this one. I have it all set up, and it works perfectly when I'm in the Script Edit screen, and click "Run Function". However, when I try and run it in Windows using my set keyboard combination, it doesn't seem to be executing.

Appreciate any help with this.
24 days ago  • #20
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)
115 discussion posts
Hello,

Are any of the other key combinations working for other functions?

Thanks!
21 days ago  • #21
Avatar from Gravatar.com
HappyKamper
3 discussion posts
Quote:
Hello,

Are any of the other key combinations working for other functions?

Thanks!


Hi Owen,

Thanks for your reply. I checked, and the other keyboard shortcuts had stopped working as well. I then realised that for some reason I had "Enable Key Combinations" unticked. After checking the "Enable Key Combinations box", the audio toggle function works perfectly via keyboard. It would be great if I could get a notification with the currently selected audio device, but not sure if you can customise DF notification that way?

Thanks.
19 days ago  • #22
Avatar from Gravatar.com
HappyKamper
3 discussion posts
Quote:
It would be great if I could get a notification with the currently selected audio device, but not sure if you can customise DF notification that way?

Thanks.


All good, just worked it out

Code

19 days ago (modified 19 days ago)  • #23
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)
115 discussion posts
Hello,

Glad to hear it's working! If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to us.

Thanks!
19 days ago  • #24
Was this helpful?    
<< DiscussionsReply