Processing Ajax...

Title
Close Dialog

Message

Confirm
Close Dialog

Confirm
Close Dialog

Steam Big Picture Script

User Image
whispers_
5 discussion posts
Hi!

So I need some help with my setup. In the wake of NVIDIA discontinuing their Gamestream service, I've had to resort to routing an extra long HDMI cable from my PC to my LG OLED. Since doing so, I've realized I needed some sort of monitor management software so I wouldn’t be constantly plug/unplug my HDMI cable whenever I want to game on the couch or use my PC (as to reduce the annoyance of an unnecessary third display when not in use).

Now that you have some context, this is where I need the help from you guys. I’ve created two monitor presets within Displayfusion. One with my TV enabled as screen #3 with HDMI audio and one with it disabled with my default PC audio. I’ve also created a hotkey to quickly switch between the two. Yet considering that I still need to walk over to the other room to reenable my TV via the hotkey, this isn’t the most elegant solution. What I’d like to do is implement a script where anytime I press the guide button on my controller and Steam opens in BPM on my TV (which is how I currently have it set) then ideally, the script triggers and the monitor preset is switched from two displays to three, the TV is enabled and big picture mode opens up. Additionally, it would be great if whenever I’m finished gaming and close Steam BPM, the preset switches back to the two display configuration.

Now after doing some research myself, I found a couple relevant scripts:

https://www.displayfusion.com/ScriptedFunctions/View/?ID=cdfdf7cc-e13c-4416-a7be-bd6763161d1f

https://www.displayfusion.com/ScriptedFunctions/View/?ID=b21d08ca-438a-41e5-8b9d-0125b07a2abc

Now I’m having trouble getting these to work as I don’t really know what I’m doing when it comes to C# or the Displayfusion interface. Any advice gamers? :)
19 days ago (modified 19 days ago)  • #1
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
We've updated that first script, so it should work now. You can adjust the "DefaultProfile" and "BigPictureProfile" strings to match your monitor profile names, and make sure the Steam directory is correct with where you have Steam installed.

If your controller can send key inputs, you can attach a key combination to the script and have it run via that controller. Otherwise you'll need to fire the key combination manually, or attach the script to a titlebar button and run it that way.

Hope that helps!
18 days ago  • #2
User Image
whispers_
5 discussion posts
Quote:
We've updated that first script, so it should work now. You can adjust the "DefaultProfile" and "BigPictureProfile" strings to match your monitor profile names, and make sure the Steam directory is correct with where you have Steam installed.
If your controller can send key inputs, you can attach a key combination to the script and have it run via that controller. Otherwise you'll need to fire the key combination manually, or attach the script to a titlebar button and run it that way.
Hope that helps!

Mind walking me through the process of implementing that script in further detail? I'm still a bit confused.
18 days ago (modified 18 days ago)  • #3
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
You can download the script via the DisplayFusion Settings > Functions > Scripted Function > Download Scripted Function. You can then adjust lines 15 & 16 to match your monitor profile names in the quotations, and line 17 if you installed Steam to a different path.

If you want to use a key combination to fire the script, you can add one by clicking the "Edit" button in the top right of the script window.

If you want to use a titlebar button to fire the script, you can save the scipt, select it in the DisplayFusion settings window, and click "Add Titlebar Button".
18 days ago  • #4
User Image
whispers_
5 discussion posts
Quote:
You can download the script via the DisplayFusion Settings > Functions > Scripted Function > Download Scripted Function. You can then adjust lines 15 & 16 to match your monitor profile names in the quotations, and line 17 if you installed Steam to a different path.
If you want to use a key combination to fire the script, you can add one by clicking the "Edit" button in the top right of the script window.
If you want to use a titlebar button to fire the script, you can save the scipt, select it in the DisplayFusion settings window, and click "Add Titlebar Button".

What's a titlebar button? Is there a way to fire it automatically via the exectution of Steam BPM? My intention is to prevent the pressing of any hotkeys so I can just press the guide button on my controller from my couch, in-turn opening BPM which switches the preset. Also vice-versa where it switches back via the closure of BPM.
18 days ago (modified 18 days ago)  • #5
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Titlebar buttons appear at the top of each window, beside your Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons.

I was playing around with the script firing when BPM was launched, but it didn't seem to work very well, as you need the monitor profile loaded before BPM starts. This script will kill steam, load the profile and wait until it's fully loaded, and then start BPM.

There isn't a way to fire it via a remote as well.
17 days ago  • #6
User Image
whispers_
5 discussion posts
Quote:
Titlebar buttons appear at the top of each window, beside your Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons.
I was playing around with the script firing when BPM was launched, but it didn't seem to work very well, as you need the monitor profile loaded before BPM starts. This script will kill steam, load the profile and wait until it's fully loaded, and then start BPM.
There isn't a way to fire it via a remote as well.

Thanks for your help so far Owen. I had the script running but it got cumbersome having to click the timed confirmation prompts that appear everytime the profile switches. So I turned those off in advanced settings. But when I exit BPM from my couch now, Steam re-launches in normal mode yet the monitor profile hasn't been reverting back. Is this happening because I disabled the confirmation prompts?
8 days ago (modified 8 days ago)  • #7
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I don't think it would matter, I was testing without confirmation prompts as well and it was working fine. If you re-enable those prompts does it start working again?
6 days ago  • #8
User Image
whispers_
5 discussion posts
Quote:
I don't think it would matter, I was testing without confirmation prompts as well and it was working fine. If you re-enable those prompts does it start working again?

So after testing it out again, it seems like instead of exiting BPM from my TV, selecting the option to close Steam from BPM does the trick. After doing so my monitor preset changes accordingly. This is a fine solution albeit I'm confused why exiting BPM didn't work (considering I thought that was the intention of the script...) oh well! Thanks again Owen :laugh:
4 days ago (modified 4 days ago)  • #9
Owen Muhlethaler (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ah strange, glad to hear you found a work around :)
4 days ago  • #10
Was this helpful?  Login to Vote(-)  Login to Vote(-)