Processing Ajax...

Title
Close Dialog

Message

Confirm
Close Dialog

Confirm
Close Dialog

Confirm
Close Dialog

User Image
NetMage
281 discussion posts
Since DF Pro 10.0 Beta 21 (possibly), my Windows 10 (v21H2 19044.2486) is showing all icons on the Windows taskbar while the DF taskbar just shows relevant icons, even though I have All taskbars show relevant windows set and it used to work with e.g. Chrome, Edge, Emacs, Outlook windows, etc.
Feb 21, 2023  • #1
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Quote:
Since DF Pro 10.0 Beta 21 (possibly), my Windows 10 (v21H2 19044.2486) is showing all icons on the Windows taskbar while the DF taskbar just shows relevant icons, even though I have All taskbars show relevant windows set and it used to work with e.g. Chrome, Edge, Emacs, Outlook windows, etc.


I am having this issue as well - but it is intermittant. For example, I can reboot to make the issue go away for a while, then it will return.
Feb 22, 2023  • #2
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
That's a strange one! I haven't been able to reproduce this here. Is there anything specific that seems to trigger it on your machines?
Feb 22, 2023  • #3
User Image
NetMage
281 discussion posts
Not that I have noticed, but I rarely reboot. I installed the update for the latest Beta and just noticed it happening.

Windows updates will reboot my PC this weekend, so perhaps that might make a difference.

I tried closing and re-opening DF and it didn't change the Windows Taskbar - still showing all icons.
Feb 23, 2023  • #4
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ok, I haven't run into this at all during regular use or testing, but I'll keep an eye out for it. If you find a consistent set of steps that will reproduce it, please let me know.
Feb 24, 2023  • #5
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
I don't know why it is happening but it happened again. Screenshot of two programs (X1 and Spotify) on both taskbars. Setting is "All taskbars show relevant windows"
• Attachment: primary monitor.jpg [25,323 bytes]
primary monitor.jpg
primary monitor.jpg
• Attachment: secondary monitor.jpg [15,774 bytes]
secondary monitor.jpg
secondary monitor.jpg
• Attachment: settings.jpg [392,700 bytes]
settings.jpg
settings.jpg
Feb 26, 2023  • #6
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Could you guys attach a backup of your settings? (Settings > Options > Export)

Thanks!
Mar 1, 2023  • #7
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Quote:
Could you guys attach a backup of your settings? (Settings > Options > Export)

Thanks!

Here is mine
• Attachment [protected]: DisplayFusion Backup (2023-03-02 @ 09-02, 9.9.99.121, FRED-XPS9520, SettingsWindow).reg [1,640,218 bytes]
Mar 2, 2023  • #8
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Thanks! Could you attach a copy of the DisplayFusion troubleshooting info when you can reproduce this again as well?

  • Open the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button
  • Reply with the file attached
Mar 6, 2023  • #9
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Quote:
Thanks! Could you attach a copy of the DisplayFusion troubleshooting info when you can reproduce this again as well?

  • Open the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button
  • Reply with the file attached

OK. It has not occured for a bit. When it does I will
Mar 6, 2023  • #10
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Quote:
Thanks! Could you attach a copy of the DisplayFusion troubleshooting info when you can reproduce this again as well?

  • Open the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button
  • Reply with the file attached

Here is the troubleshooting file
• Attachment [protected]: DisplayFusionDebugInfo.zip [62,845 bytes]
Mar 6, 2023  • #11
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Thanks! Do you remember which app was still on the Windows taskbar when you captured that info? The info indicates that DF thinks X1 and Spotify were removed from the Windows taskbar.
Mar 7, 2023  • #12
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Quote:
Thanks! Do you remember which app was still on the Windows taskbar when you captured that info? The info indicates that DF thinks X1 and Spotify were removed from the Windows taskbar.


There were three: X1, Spotify, and DF (ironically).
Mar 7, 2023  • #13
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Thanks! We're pretty sure we know what's causing this and we have a potential fix for Beta 23. We'll let you know when it's available to try, and if it still happens with Beta 23, we'll get you to send a debug log as we've added some more logging as well.
Mar 8, 2023  • #14
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Quote:
Thanks! We're pretty sure we know what's causing this and we have a potential fix for Beta 23. We'll let you know when it's available to try, and if it still happens with Beta 23, we'll get you to send a debug log as we've added some more logging as well.

OK. Thanks.
Mar 8, 2023  • #15
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Keith - any eta on beta 23? I'm still experiencing this issue.
Mar 17, 2023  • #16
User Image
NetMage
281 discussion posts
FYI, the issue doesn't appear to be happening after the last Windows updates were applied to my PC.

I am still on DF beta 22. My Windows is Windows 10 Version 21H2 Build 19044.2728.

Of course, that could also just be a result of the reboot required as part of the patches being installed.
Mar 17, 2023  • #17
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Quote:
Keith - any eta on beta 23? I'm still experiencing this issue.


Hopefully within the next couple of days :)
Mar 20, 2023  • #18
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
@Fred: We've just released 10.0 Beta 23. Could you give it a try and let us know how it goes?
Mar 23, 2023  • #19
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Installed and I will let you know. Thanks!
Mar 23, 2023  • #20
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
This behavior is now back on 10.1 Beta 6. Like before it is intermittant, but once the icons are on both taskbars, the only way to correct it is to reboot.
Jul 18, 2023  • #21
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Would you be able to capture an L2 debug log for this issue?

  • On the DisplayFusion Settings > Troubleshooting tab, change the Logging drop-down to "L2: Log Detailed" and click Apply
  • Reproduce the issue and note the time so we'll know where to check in the log file
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button on the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Reply with the file attached
  • Disable debug logging after sending the log

Thanks!
Aug 1, 2023  • #22
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Yes. The issue has not appeared again for a while. the next time it does I will get a log and send it.

Quote:
Would you be able to capture an L2 debug log for this issue?

  • On the DisplayFusion Settings > Troubleshooting tab, change the Logging drop-down to "L2: Log Detailed" and click Apply
  • Reproduce the issue and note the time so we'll know where to check in the log file
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button on the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Reply with the file attached
  • Disable debug logging after sending the log

Thanks!
Aug 1, 2023  • #23
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
It has occurred again. The time was 6:16 PM Central. The program at issue was Adobe Acrobat. Showing on both taskbars.

Quote:
Yes. The issue has not appeared again for a while. the next time it does I will get a log and send it.

Quote:
Would you be able to capture an L2 debug log for this issue?

  • On the DisplayFusion Settings > Troubleshooting tab, change the Logging drop-down to "L2: Log Detailed" and click Apply
  • Reproduce the issue and note the time so we'll know where to check in the log file
  • Click the "Export Info to File" button on the Settings > Troubleshooting tab
  • Reply with the file attached
  • Disable debug logging after sending the log

Thanks!
• Attachment [protected]: DisplayFusionDebugInfo.zip [575,186 bytes]
Aug 7, 2023  • #24
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Thanks! I can see in the log where DisplayFusion is attempting to remove it from the Windows taskbar. There aren't any failures in the log, but I believe Windows doesn't return anything for that API call :(

When this happens, if you kill explorer.exe with Task Manager and start it again, does that also fix it?
Aug 8, 2023  • #25
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
I will try that when it reocurrs and report back.
Aug 8, 2023  • #26
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Yes. Restarting windows does fix it.

Quote:
Thanks! I can see in the log where DisplayFusion is attempting to remove it from the Windows taskbar. There aren't any failures in the log, but I believe Windows doesn't return anything for that API call :(

When this happens, if you kill explorer.exe with Task Manager and start it again, does that also fix it?
Aug 14, 2023  • #27
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Does just restarting explorer.exe fix it? (Without restarting Windows itself)
Aug 29, 2023  • #28
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Yes. I just run a restart explorer.exe command
Quote:
Does just restarting explorer.exe fix it? (Without restarting Windows itself)
Aug 29, 2023  • #29
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ok, thanks! How long does it take before the issue occurs again? Just wondering for a test machine here how long I need to leave it logged in for.

Thanks!
Aug 30, 2023  • #30
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
It has been relatively infrequent recently. Certainly not even daily. Not even weekly at this point.
Quote:
Ok, thanks! How long does it take before the issue occurs again? Just wondering for a test machine here how long I need to leave it logged in for.

Thanks!
Aug 30, 2023  • #31
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Interesting, might be a tough one to reproduce here but I'll keep an eye on it!
Aug 30, 2023  • #32
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
It just happened again. I had two programs (including Display Fusion) showing on both monitors. Restarting Windows (without rebooting) fixed the problem. Log attached.
• Attachment [protected]: DisplayFusionDebugInfo.zip [259,342 bytes]
Sep 16, 2023  • #33
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Just happened again.
Sep 18, 2023  • #34
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Thanks! We'll take another look at the troubleshooting info and logs.

I suspect what's happening is that something is breaking in explorer.exe, then when DF asks it to remove the button from the taskbar, it fails to do so, but doesn't tell DF that it failed. We need to look into a way to confirm that though.

We'll keep you posted!
Sep 18, 2023  • #35
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
We've just released 10.1.2 Beta 1, and we've added some more logging to help track this down. Could you enable debug logging and send over a new log next time you notice the issue?

Thanks!
Sep 21, 2023  • #36
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
Will do
Sep 21, 2023  • #37
User Image
Fred Greco
170 discussion posts
I am seeing this behavior again. Restarting Windows or rebotting will fix it for a period of time, and then it happens again. That is, the taskbars of both monitors show an open program, not just the monitor on which the program is open.
4 days ago  • #38
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Could you enable L1 debug logging and send me a copy of the log next time it happens?

Thanks!
3 days ago  • #39
Subscribe to this discussion topic using RSS
Was this helpful?  Login to Vote(-)  Login to Vote(-)