Title

Message

Confirm

Want to earn a free DisplayFusion Pro license? We're looking for DisplayFusion translators!
<< DiscussionsReply

Windows not appearing on top when clicking taskbar icon

Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Hi,

I have a strange issue that used to occur in DF 9.3 but went away in DF 9.4 but has returned in the latest beta 9.5 beta 1.

The issue that occurs is after some time of having DF running on my Win 10 PC (dual monitors with taskbars on the left side of the screen), I find that clicking on an app icon on the taskbar does not bring it to the front of the screen.

The only workaround is to restart DF and then it will work again for another period of time. I was happy to see this issue go away in 9.4 but am worried it may be regressing back in 9.5.

Please let me know what you would like me to do to help troubleshoot.

Thanks.
Jan 29, 2019  • #1
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
It doesn't look like we changed anything that should be affecting this. If you roll back to 9.4.3 does the issue stop occurring again?
Jan 29, 2019  • #2
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Quote:
It doesn't look like we changed anything that should be affecting this. If you roll back to 9.4.3 does the issue stop occurring again?


Yes it seems to have gone away in 9.4.3. Do you want me to try 9.5.1 and do a special log when it occurs again?
Jan 29, 2019  • #3
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Sunny76
2 discussion posts
Hi,

Looks similar to the issue i have atm. After some time some of the apps that I have on screen cannot be clicked. It's like they are backgrounded. I can use alt-tab to switch to them and my keyboard to navigate them but I can't click on them at all with left or right mouse buttons. This often happens on my primary monitor and other monitors but not to all my apps. Also, on the primary monitor I cannot click any of the taskbar icons to launch or control apps.

I've not tried disabling displayfusion or reverting it back to the version mentioned but does it sound like the same issue?

Also I found this in the win10 known issues post:

"Can't Fix: Windows not coming to front when clicked (this is a Windows 10 bug triggered by any program that uses TOPMOST on its windows). Workaround: Enable the "SetWindowPos: Disallow TopMost Calls" option in Settings > Advanced Settings."

I have that setting enabled (default setting on 9.5 version 1) and it's not helping.

If this isn't the same issue as the poster, let me know and I can make a separate thread if needed...

Thanks!
S
Jan 30, 2019 (modified Jan 30, 2019)  • #4
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Hi Sunny,

Is it any better with version 9.4.3? I seem to have a better experience with that version rather than the new beta (9.5.1). I don't have an issue launching it is just getting apps to appear on the top when clicking on them on the taskbar. Both taskbars are affected although it feels like primary monitor is worse affected so there are some similarities here.

Thanks.

Quote:
Hi,

Looks similar to the issue i have atm. After some time some of the apps that I have on screen cannot be clicked. It's like they are backgrounded. I can use alt-tab to switch to them and my keyboard to navigate them but I can't click on them at all with left or right mouse buttons. This often happens on my primary monitor and other monitors but not to all my apps. Also, on the primary monitor I cannot click any of the taskbar icons to launch or control apps.

I've not tried disabling displayfusion or reverting it back to the version mentioned but does it sound like the same issue?

Also I found this in the win10 known issues post:

"Can't Fix: Windows not coming to front when clicked (this is a Windows 10 bug triggered by any program that uses TOPMOST on its windows). Workaround: Enable the "SetWindowPos: Disallow TopMost Calls" option in Settings > Advanced Settings."

I have that setting enabled (default setting on 9.5 version 1) and it's not helping.

If this isn't the same issue as the poster, let me know and I can make a separate thread if needed...

Thanks!
S
Jan 30, 2019  • #5
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Sunny76
2 discussion posts
Hi Chris, no not tried 9.4.3, i'm on the latest beta on steam.

S
Jan 30, 2019  • #6
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
@Chris: Does Alt+Tab work for you when trying to switch to those windows? (When the taskbar buttons aren't working)
Jan 31, 2019 (modified Jan 31, 2019)  • #7
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Quote:
@Chris: Does Alt+Tab work for you when trying to switch to those windows? (When the taskbar buttons aren't working)


Yes it did.
Feb 5, 2019  • #8
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
If you put your taskbars on the bottom of the screen, does this still happen?
Feb 5, 2019  • #9
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Quote:
If you put your taskbars on the bottom of the screen, does this still happen?


It does appear having the taskbars at the bottom of the screen prevents this. It is happening with DF 9.4 but just not as frequently as DF 9.3 or 9.5. This never happened under Windows 7 only with Windows 10.
Feb 9, 2019 (modified Feb 9, 2019)  • #10
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ok, not sure what would have changed to affect this in 9.5 B1. I will pass this over to our devs to see if they can offer some insight.
Feb 11, 2019 (modified Feb 11, 2019)  • #11
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Quote:
Ok, not sure what would have changed to affect this in 9.5 B1. I will pass this over to our devs to see if they can offer some insight.


Just confirming - is it related to this? Or would it be more consistent?
Quote:
Can't Fix: Windows not coming to front when clicked (this is a Windows 10 bug triggered by any program that uses TOPMOST on its windows). Workaround: Enable the "SetWindowPos: Disallow TopMost Calls" option in Settings > Advanced Settings.
Feb 11, 2019 (modified Feb 11, 2019)  • #12
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I do think it's related to that, yeah. We thought we had that fixed up though, so I'm going to pass this over to our developers to see if maybe there's something we missed, or a regression due to another change possibly.
Feb 12, 2019  • #13
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Looks like a possible fix for this is coming in 9.5 (Beta 2)..
Quote:
Fix: Enabling the "Disallow TopMost Calls" Advanced Setting should now resolve any issues with windows not focusing properly when using left/right side taskbars


Any news when its going to be released? BTW..love the new "preview" release notes.
May 1, 2019  • #14
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
With any luck we should have Beta 2 out this week
May 1, 2019  • #15
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
We're getting ready to release DisplayFusion 9.5 Beta 2 and this issue will be all fixed up in it. It's not posted publicly yet, but you can download it here if you want to give it a try: https://www.binaryfortress.com/Files/DisplayFusion/DisplayFusionSetup-9.5-Beta2.exe

Thanks!
May 2, 2019  • #16
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
This issue appears to have returned even with DF v9.5 installed when my taskbars are set vertically. I am running Win 10 build 1903 so not sure if that has something to do with it. It happens pretty consistently the only workarounds are to stop running DF or run DF with taskbars set horizontally.

I am also running Start 10.

Can you do some testing on your side to confirm? Thanks.
13 days ago (modified 13 days ago)  • #17
Keith Lammers (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
@Chris: Even with the "Disallow TopMost" option still enabled?
9 days ago  • #18
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Chris G1
60 discussion posts
Quote:
@Chris: Even with the "Disallow TopMost" option still enabled?


Yes, with "TopMost will be allowed if requested (default value)" selected - is that the right setting?
8 days ago (modified 8 days ago)  • #19
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
The setting Keith is referring to can be found in the Advanced Settings window, and the name of it is "SetWindowPos: Disallow TopMost Calls". Can you enable this, restart DisplayFusion and see if that helps? Thanks!
7 days ago  • #20
Was this helpful?  Login to Vote  Login to Vote
<< DiscussionsReply