Title

Message

Confirm

Want to earn a free DisplayFusion Pro license? We're looking for DisplayFusion translators!
<< DiscussionsReply

MSN black window bug is back

Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Using Beta 9:

Aug 7, 2009  • #1
John L. Galt's profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I don't get that at all....

Are you using any sort of ad blockers, or else is your WLM customized? What OS are you on?
I am I.
Aug 9, 2009  • #2
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Don't worry, Jon and I talked about this earlier and he fixed it. Somehow it got back again, Jon just needs to come online
Aug 9, 2009  • #3
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I'm back! Do you remember what we did last time to fix the issue? Sorry, I can't remember any details off the top of my head.
Aug 10, 2009  • #4
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
I'm back! :) Do you remember what we did last time to fix the issue? Sorry, I can't remember any details off the top of my head.


Welcome back! :). Well, you were the one who fixed it, I didn't have to do anything. You said you wrote 'a lot of code to fix it' and it was fixed perfectly after version 3.0.X. Still is fixed in 3.0.6. One "new" thing about this bug though is that it doesn't happen as often as it used to at all. Now it only happens like once in 30 minutes, whereas when the bug was just introduced it happened literally all the time when I opened a chat window.
Aug 10, 2009  • #5
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Does it work with any version of DF? (like 3.0.6) Does this happen all the time? Does it still happen if you disable the taskbar preview option?
Aug 11, 2009  • #6
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
Does it work with any version of DF? (like 3.0.6) Does this happen all the time? Does it still happen if you disable the taskbar preview option?


You fixed it in 3.0.5 or 3.0.6 I think, not sure. It doesn't happen all the time, quite random actually though there are ways to reproduce it. It still happens if I disable the preview option.
Aug 11, 2009  • #7
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
:| i recently have exactly the effect but in Opera. The same black square. I believed it be an opera bug (using v10 beta) but now i read this post it makes me wonder.

The square is not related the size of the opera tab open, it's just a black square superimposed on the tab and part of the toolbar. Moving the mouse about makes highlighted items of the page loaded pop up for a second or so and then the square is back.

As it's very random it's hard to say if it doesn't happen with df disabled.

Update:

Managed to snap a snip (you have to be fast because as soon as there's redraw it disappears)
The black square has no relation to opera, the square doesn't fill the active Tab and overlaps into the taskbar but partly.

This issue is present a while now (4/5 weeks maybe), but never connected it to DF.
• Attachment: df.jpg [37,647 bytes]
df.jpg
df.jpg
Aug 12, 2009  • #8
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I have seen this black window issue before as well... I'll see what I can do for Beta 11. Thanks!
Aug 13, 2009  • #9
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
I have seen this black window issue before as well... I'll see what I can do for Beta 11. Thanks!


Awesome, thanks in advance.
PS: Did you watch the video? :-P
Aug 14, 2009  • #10
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I did, that's probably the best bug report I've seen! Sometimes it's much better to show what's going on, and a video is the perfect way.
Aug 14, 2009  • #11
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
I did, that's probably the best bug report I've seen! Sometimes it's much better to show what's going on, and a video is the perfect way. :)


Aww thanks :-). I couldn't be bothered to mess around with dodgy screen capturing software, so I just decided to film it instead.
Aug 14, 2009  • #12
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
It looks like you had to minimize/restore it many times to make the bug appear. Does this happen if you do the same thing on the Windows taskbar?
Aug 14, 2009  • #13
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
It looks like you had to minimize/restore it many times to make the bug appear. Does this happen if you do the same thing on the Windows taskbar?


Actually it was one of the ways this bug happens to me. Sometime someone says something to me, and I click the chatwindow to open it and the black bars are there. So it's not just a minimizing problem. This does not happen to me at all on the normal Windows taskbar.
Aug 14, 2009  • #14
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
The weird thing about this bug is how little DisplayFusion is interacting with the MSN window. When you click on the DF taskbar button, it sends the window a message telling it to restore. That's it. So either DF is using the wrong message and MSN isn't handling it properly, or something else is happening that I don't understand. :( I'll keep investigating the issue, but I can't promise anything.

Long shot: Can you try updating your video drivers to the latest and greatest? I see that you're using Aero, so it's worth a try.

Thanks!
Aug 14, 2009  • #15
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
The weird thing about this bug is how little DisplayFusion is interacting with the MSN window. When you click on the DF taskbar button, it sends the window a message telling it to restore. That's it. So either DF is using the wrong message and MSN isn't handling it properly, or something else is happening that I don't understand. :( I'll keep investigating the issue, but I can't promise anything.

Long shot: Can you try updating your video drivers to the latest and greatest? I see that you're using Aero, so it's worth a try.

Thanks!


I'm a software geek, always have the latest and greatest :P so I'm always up to date. The funny thing about all of this though is that it was completely fixed in either 3.0.5 or 3.0.6. So as a non-developer I would think this is a regression that returned after maybe fixing another thing.
Aug 14, 2009  • #16
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I am going to put together a special build for you this weekend to see if it takes care of this problem. I'll post again with the new build attached in the next 24 hours. Thanks!
Aug 14, 2009  • #17
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
me too, me too !!!!! And my black box appears out of nowhere just browsing along. Can't film it because it just happens randomly.
Aug 15, 2009  • #18
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Was Beta 11 supposed to fix this? Because it made it kind of worse actually, I only have to minimize the chat window 2 times now to get the black bars and they appear more often now.
Aug 16, 2009  • #19
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
LOL - well, that's certainly not good news. It was supposed to be fixed, but obviously it isn't. I'll take another look at it.
Aug 17, 2009  • #20
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Which version of Windows are you 2 using? Are you using Aero?
Aug 17, 2009  • #21
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
Which version of Windows are you 2 using? Are you using Aero?


I'm using Windows 7 RTM 7600 x86 (with a Dutch languagepack) with the default settings, so Aero is enabled yes.
Aug 17, 2009  • #22
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
@Domokun: Just to clarify, you're just left-clicking the taskbar item repeatedly and the window is restoring, then minimizing over and over?
Aug 17, 2009  • #23
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
i'm using 7600 OEM x64, aero with windowblinds. DF beta 11
The black box just appeared an hour ago.

I tried also to minimize and restore. For a fraction of second i see the black box and then the window snaps into place.

If i minimize and wait for a while and maximize the blackbox doesn't show. If i minimize and restore immediately i can just see it flashing by.
Aug 17, 2009  • #24
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
@Domokun: Are you using Windowblinds as well?

@petrossa: What are you using Windowblinds for in Win7? (just curious :))

Does this problem only occur with MSN messenger, or does it happen with other applications as well?
Aug 17, 2009  • #25
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
@Domokun: Are you using Windowblinds as well?

@petrossa: What are you using Windowblinds for in Win7? (just curious :))

Does this problem only occur with MSN messenger, or does it happen with other applications as well?


Not using Windowblinds or any other graphical enhancing program. One of the ways it happens is when I left the click the window to minimize it two or three times and the black bars occur yes. It also happens only with Windows Live Messenger for me, no other programs.
Aug 17, 2009  • #26
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Unfortunately, I'm only calling 1 line of code when dealing with the minimize/restore of a window. I can't change it any further. It sounds like the MSN chat windows aren't handling the request to be repainted correctly. I hate to attribute this bug to being a different app's problem, but that's what it seems to be. I am using the standard ShowWindow() function to minimize/restore the windows, and if the MSN chat window doesn't play nicely with that I'm not sure what else I can do.
Aug 17, 2009  • #27
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm only calling 1 line of code when dealing with the minimize/restore of a window. I can't change it any further. It sounds like the MSN chat windows aren't handling the request to be repainted correctly. I hate to attribute this bug to being a different app's problem, but that's what it seems to be. :( I am using the standard ShowWindow() function to minimize/restore the windows, and if the MSN chat window doesn't play nicely with that I'm not sure what else I can do.


Then how is it possible you actually fixed the bug in 3.0.5 or 3.0.6 and it returned again in the beta's? Would it help if I find out exactly in what version you fixed it and in what beta it returned again?
Aug 17, 2009  • #28
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
That would help quite a bit. If you can let me know what version works perfectly all the time I'll compare the code and see exactly what has changed. Thanks!
Aug 17, 2009  • #29
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
I'll get right on it. One problem though, the only DisplayFusion software setups I have on my HDD are 3.0.6 and the latest beta 11. Could you post the links for 3.0.4, 3.0.5 and Beta 1 until 11 for me here or PM them?
Aug 17, 2009  • #30
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
Quote:
@Domokun: Are you using Windowblinds as well?

@petrossa: What are you using Windowblinds for in Win7? (just curious :))

Does this problem only occur with MSN messenger, or does it happen with other applications as well?


I don't have messenger installed, but it happens with me in Opera.
WB in 7? Question of taste. Actually i don't like the new themes at all; they're really really dull.
As soon as windows gives these http://www.wincustomize.com/zoom.aspx?skinid=6920&libid=1.....
• Attachment: example.JPG [161,560 bytes]
example.JPG
example.JPG
• Attachment: example2.JPG [135,628 bytes]
example2.JPG
example2.JPG
Aug 18, 2009  • #31
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
@Domokun: I'll post all the builds today. Thanks!

@petrossa: Just to confirm: you get black spots in your Opera windows?
Aug 18, 2009  • #32
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Here are all of the 3.0.x builds. Thanks for testing!
• Attachment: DisplayFusionSetup-3.0.0.exe [483,688 bytes]
• Attachment: DisplayFusionSetup-3.0.1.exe [485,760 bytes]
• Attachment: DisplayFusionSetup-3.0.2.exe [487,768 bytes]
• Attachment: DisplayFusionSetup-3.0.3.exe [499,360 bytes]
• Attachment: DisplayFusionSetup-3.0.4.exe [516,840 bytes]
• Attachment: DisplayFusionSetup-3.0.5.exe [540,776 bytes]
• Attachment: DisplayFusionSetup-3.0.6.exe [834,848 bytes]
Aug 18, 2009  • #33
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Ok, just got back from testing. The WLM black bars bug is present in 3.0.4 but not anymore in 3.0.5 and 3.0.6. So you fixed it in 3.0.5.
Aug 19, 2009  • #34
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Ok, I think I've found the only relevant thing that's different. The weird thing is, this line of code shouldn't make any difference, but I'm putting it back in for Beta 12. I'll get Beta 12 out tonight so you can give it a good test. Thanks!
Aug 19, 2009  • #35
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Beta 12 is out and ready for your to test. Thanks!
Aug 19, 2009  • #36
John L. Galt's profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Interesting - no WindowBlinds here and no mysterious black bars either - Jon, I think you're onto something (again).
I am I.
Aug 19, 2009  • #37
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Hmm, that's weird. Using beta 12 now and each time I minimize the chat window, the black bars get worse, so every time I minimize the chat window and I open it again there are more black bars. Also, I don't know if this helps but when I change my Windows 7 color scheme to Basic, the black bars look like this:
Aug 19, 2009  • #38
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
Quote:
@Domokun: I'll post all the builds today. Thanks!

@petrossa: Just to confirm: you get black spots in your Opera windows?


confirmed, and i'll need some time to see if the blackbox is gone. I can't create it like Domosan. (who's dutch btw Jon that explains a lot :-D )
Aug 19, 2009  • #39
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
confirmed, and i'll need some time to see if the blackbox is gone. I can't create it like Domosan. (who's dutch btw Jon that explains a lot :-D )


Wut?
Aug 19, 2009  • #40
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
we dutch are known to see things in a black light :-D

Jon, sofar no black boxes with beta 12........
Aug 20, 2009  • #41
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Why is Windows Live Messenger so mean to me . On a brighter note: I GOT MY DRIVER'S LICENSE TODAY! WOOHOO
Aug 20, 2009  • #42
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Congrats on the drivers license! I haven't been able to reproduce the black bars here either. :( I'm going to mark this topic as "complete", and hope that it's either a hardware or drivers problem. :-D Seriously though, it sounds like a problem with just MSN, in very a specific situation.

@Domokun: Do you have any other computers at your place that you can try to reproduce this problem on?
Aug 20, 2009  • #43
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
Congrats on the drivers license! I haven't been able to reproduce the black bars here either. :( I'm going to mark this topic as "complete", and hope that it's either a hardware or drivers problem. :-D Seriously though, it sounds like a problem with just MSN, in very a specific situation.

@Domokun: Do you have any other computers at your place that you can try to reproduce this problem on?


Thanks! And no, this is the only one. I'm going to do a fresh Windows 7 install tomorrow again, if it's still occurring then I'll just stick to 3.0.6 forever :(
Aug 20, 2009  • #44
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I'm very interested to hear if the problem keeps happening after your fresh Win7 install. Can you follow-up once you're done?
Aug 20, 2009  • #45
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
I'm very interested to hear if the problem keeps happening after your fresh Win7 install. Can you follow-up once you're done?


Absolutely, will do. Hopefully NVIDIA will release a set of new drivers soon as well.
Aug 20, 2009  • #46
John L. Galt's profile on WallpaperFusion.com
FWIW: I am using the nVidia 190.38 drivers with my pair of GTX260s and they have just released new drivers for the Motherboards as well - 15.45 and 15.46 (depending upon upon whether you have nVidia based motherboards with on-board GPUs or not).

Also, My W7 RTM is a clean install as opposed to an upgrade - and even though you can edit a file and easily use the upgrade feature from the Beta / RC to final, I highly recommend that you clean install - playing around with apps and tweaks and whatnot will almost always leave remnants of themselves behind after uninstallation / removal, and especially when using beta and RC versions of the OS. In the long run, you'll be a lot happier with a new, fresh clean install of the OS and will have less issues down the road (well, to clarify, less issues b/c you'll have non that can be traced back to the upgrade).
I am I.
Aug 20, 2009  • #47
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Quote:
FWIW: I am using the nVidia 190.38 drivers with my pair of GTX260s and they have just released new drivers for the Motherboards as well - 15.45 and 15.46 (depending upon upon whether you have nVidia based motherboards with on-board GPUs or not).

Also, My W7 RTM is a clean install as opposed to an upgrade - and even though you can edit a file and easily use the upgrade feature from the Beta / RC to final, I highly recommend that you clean install - playing around with apps and tweaks and whatnot will almost always leave remnants of themselves behind after uninstallation / removal, and especially when using beta and RC versions of the OS. In the long run, you'll be a lot happier with a new, fresh clean install of the OS and will have less issues down the road (well, to clarify, less issues b/c you'll have non that can be traced back to the upgrade).


I don't have an NVIDIA motherboard, waiting for new GPU drivers. And yes, I agree. I do a clean install about every 2 months, have done that for years now. I love starting fresh :)
Aug 20, 2009  • #48
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
:-( So this is my setup:
windows 7600 OEM x64, NVIDIA Geforce 190.56 on a 250 GTS.
It's not Opera 10, because i reinstalled an old release version 9 and it does the same.

It's the first time though, before it was more frequent.
• Attachment: merde.jpg [64,939 bytes]
merde.jpg
merde.jpg
Aug 20, 2009  • #49
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
How did you cause this to occur? Did you have to minimize/restore many times? Are you using Beta 12?
Aug 20, 2009  • #50
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
it just happens during a background wallpaper switch. Yes beta 12. But hey, if i'm the only one don't go chasing red herrings.

I can live with it so.....Just wait and see if anymore crop up. To me it's completed also, make us a nice wallpaper grouping box instead 8-)
Aug 20, 2009  • #51
John L. Galt's profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Petrossa, perhaps you should stop using beta drivers and revert to the WHQL official drivers from nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_190.38_whql.html
I am I.
Aug 21, 2009  • #52
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Make that http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_190.62_whql.html.
New set of GPU drivers released today ;)
Aug 22, 2009  • #53
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
Quote:
Petrossa, perhaps you should stop using beta drivers and revert to the WHQL official drivers from nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_190.38_whql.html


:-) tnx John for the advice, but I actually changed drivers to the beta to see if the problem went away;

Downloading the 190.62 tnx Domosan for the heads up;
Aug 22, 2009  • #54
John L. Galt's profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Gotchya. I didn't think you were using the beta drivers, and was surprised when they were listed.

@Domo - yeah, saw that a few hours later - so new drivers for all my nVidia components - time to go installing....
I am I.
Aug 22, 2009  • #55
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
with latest drivers i see the black box appearing in other open windows during wallpaper update. They flash by, but essentially, the window border stays put, but inside the border a black box appears and disappears. Didn't happen with older drivers.

Would be interesting to know if this black box happens on non NVIDIA cards.
Aug 23, 2009  • #56
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
@petrossa: Is this in WinXP or something newer? Are you still using WindowBlinds? I am using an nVidia card with WinXP and Win7, and have never had this problem. I'm using an ATI card in another test machine without this problem as well. Would you be able to test without WindowBlinds, or is it difficult to remove/re-install?
Aug 24, 2009  • #57
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
it's win 7. No problem to uninstall WB. I'll get back to you on that.

PS

Guess i'll wait a bit now see post: transitions
Aug 24, 2009  • #58
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
I saw your post, glad to hear the transitions are working. Does that mean no more black windows when the wallpaper changes?
Aug 24, 2009  • #59
Avatar from Gravatar.com
petrossa
141 discussion posts
8-) yep. Don't what you did there, but the redraw of the open windows is gone, and with it the black boxes...

:-D
Aug 25, 2009  • #60
Avatar from Gravatar.com
Domokun
48 discussion posts
Holy crap Jon, I don't know what you did but Beta 14 totally fixed the black bars problem for me as well as other minimizing problems . THANK YOU!
Aug 25, 2009  • #61
Jon Tackabury (BFS)'s profile on WallpaperFusion.com
Excellent - I put a lot of time into Beta 14 over the last couple of days. Cleaned it up, and tested it like crazy. I'm glad to hear it was worth it. I'll mark this topic as "complete" now, but please feel free to re-post if you have any more issues. Thanks!
Aug 25, 2009  • #62
Was this helpful?  Login to Vote  Login to Vote
<< DiscussionsReply